Thursday, July 10, 2014

When Demons Attack

It happened again the other night. I was lying in bed, minding my own business and trying to fall asleep when my demons attacked me. You've all experienced this before. But if you haven't, let me explain how it happens. 

You'll be quietly minding your own business, trying to live your life and get on with your day when a surge of raging anger overtakes you. This anger is usually brought on by a memory or memories of having been infuriated by something, usually an injustice or a time you felt particularly helpless. If you experienced sibling abuse, then this happens to you quite a bit. Actually, anger and agitation used to be my daily emotional state--even after my teenage years. 

This anger is a force that makes you want to strangle something. In fact, this anger is so powerful that physical reactions often result. You'll feel your pulse quicken, you'll grit your teeth, clench your fists, and try to hit something--anything--so you can open even the tiniest of valves on the pent-up emotions threatening to fry up your body. 

Well readers, demons have been my long-time companions. Over the years (oh yes, years) that I've been battling them, I think I have a good system for how to return to calm whenever they invade. Of course, the long-term work we're all doing to try to find some semblance of closure regarding the abuse we were victims of will be the ultimate defeat of our demons, but here are some tips to use for in the moment. 

I followed the below steps the other night and (if you'll allow me to plant a spoiler in here), I ended up feeling better. I call them my Six Steps For Fighting Demons  

1. Dance to music--The physical release of dancing to music is just what your body needs to work off the pent-up rage. But don't listen to depressing music. That's a bad idea. Listen to something with a beat to it, and something that will take your mind off your feelings. The energy of the music will soothe your body, and the lyrics will soothe your emotions by distracting them. This step took me about an hour.

2. Fool around on the internet--Once I feel like I've sufficiently calmed down, I'll go on the internet and look up something funny. Laughter is one of the best cures to debilitating depression and anger. If you don't have a favorite YouTube video yet, I recommend "how animals eat" or "the count censored." Both are hysterical and will quickly put you in a good mood.

3. Secret weapons--I have a few go-to books and exercises that I call my "secret weapons." I love the book Eat,Pray,Love by Elizabeth Gilbert and there are a few passages in there that I re-read when I'm blue. Some of you might have other books that you like to read, like The Bible or something else that you know will always cheer you up. I also do deep breathing exercises, which help calm me down.

4. Phone a friend--Maybe not right that second, but later when you feel like you can utter coherent thoughts about how you're feeling, talk to a friend about your problems. Even if you don't tell them about the very worst thoughts and emotions you were feeling, just having a sympathetic ear to listen to the problems you do feel comfortable sharing can work wonders. Friends can also be a distraction. One night I was in a particularly bad demons-y mood, and I had plans to attend a social function. Every part of me was telling me to skip it, and just spend time alone. But I knew deep down that attending the event would distract me from my problems. I went, and I was right. I felt better in an hour. It probably would have taken me all night to feel better had I just spent the evening alone.

5. Don't think about it--Finally, when you've gotten rid of all the bad energy, make yourself not think about it. Channel positive thoughts instead, and remember times when you were happy.

6. End on a good note--It's good to end demons battles with something empowering or inspiring. I usually think back to how much I've changed over the past years, and how far I've already come with my personal war on sibling abuse. Keep your head up, have faith, and know that most likely, you're going to be fine in the end.

The next morning, I went to work early and even though I had had only about four hours of fitful, restless sleep, I had a good day. I felt energetic, I talked to my coworkers, and I spent my break basking in the sunshine outside. I had almost completely forgotten about my anger episode the previous night.

I hope this routine will also help you keep your demons at bay. And hopefully one day they'll leave us altogether.

No comments:

Post a Comment